Job Posting Date:
Arbuckle Media is a digital agency with our ear to the ground, raising businesses up using powerful creative and smart branding executions. We’re small but mighty, and looking to grow our family. We live and breathe emerging tech, and we are always looking for the next opportunity for our clients to succeed.
We’re a small company offering:
- Multi-channel Shopify implementations
- Web design and development for ecommerce-based experiences
- Brand strategy and execution
- Email marketing strategy + support
- Client-focused training on e-commerce tools
- Copywriting and editing for the web
- Photography and video production
- Shopify POS setup support
- Analytics and reporting
About You & Your Position
Arbuckle Media is seeking to recruit a Junior Web Developer to help build Shopify and other leading platform ecommerce websites for our client. The successful candidate will embrace modern web UI/UX standards, performance expectations, while being an engaged member of a multi-disciplinary project delivery team. If this sounds like the opportunity for experience and growth you are looking for, please get in touch. We’d love to hear from you.
- Salary based on experience
- Unlimited vacation days plus 13 stat holidays (we’re looking for performance and not looking to micromanage your life!)
- Employer-sponsored life, disability, health, and dental plan (including online healthcare access)
- Fun, challenging projects for interesting clients focused on growth
- A team of smart, hard-working people who know how to have fun too
- We invest in our team and aim to provide anything you need to expand and nurture your skills including training and equipment. We also reward talent and leadership skills, with a clear promotion path for those who excel.
Role & Responsibilities
- Develop new custom Shopify themes and websites for our ecommerce clients
- Maintain existing Shopify themes and websites we developed
- Implement customizations to pre-built Shopify themes from other developers
- Develop custom solutions for navigation and filtering products based on tags
- Testing and bug fixes in collaboration with the project delivery team
- Migrate data from one ecommerce store to another
- Participate in scoping, client meetings, and project meetings to support the project leader and delivery
- Collaborating with other team members to create content for clients’ websites that adheres to SEO best practices
- Excellence with HTML5 and CSS
- Using CSS preprocessors like Sass
- Experience with Shopify’s Liquid templating language
- Solid understanding of why and how to separate content from style and behaviour in a web page
- Implementing responsive (and fast!) web designs with modern standards for HTML5 and CSS
- Knowledge of using SVG graphics in websites
- Use of web fonts
- Browser and performance testing/optimizing with tools like Chrome Developer Tools, Lighthouse, and Shopify performance reports
- Use version control systems like Git and develop as part of a team
- Ability to fit in with our team and collaborate with experts in other disciplines to deliver impressive projects
- Experience and comfort level in the command shell
- Producing code that is maintainable
- Work full-time, Monday to Friday, with some after-hours or weekend work support (like fixes, launches, etc.) as needed
- Experience developing ecommerce sites with one or more of: Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, React.js, WebGL, Shopify APIs, Shopify Plus Cart Scripts
- Communication with clients and internal team
- Assist project leader in planning and running website builds and data migrations
- Documenting development plans as tasks in project plans and feature backlogs
To set expectations for a great fit, you’ll be:
- Self-driven and able to self-manage time around a flexible schedule;
- Able to work remotely, both securely and privately (to ensure security of data transfer and client service communications);
- Excellent at time management in order to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort;
- Able to take constructive feedback, and provide constructive feedback to others, both internally and externally, where required;
- Able to deliver excellent client service and communication skills both written and verbal
- exceed expectations and go the extra mile for both internal and external clients and partners. Expects personal and team performance to be the best.
- Attentive to detail, and not let important details slip through the cracks, excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Able to work efficiently with little supervision;
- Curious and takes ownership of your role;
- Adaptable: adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change, often in ambiguity. Seeks out opportunities for development.
- Be grounded: able to work in an environment where humor plays an important role in regulating the tone of our workday.
- Understands that our client’s aren’t perfect: our smaller clients often need to be spoken to in plain-language, and the ability to service them and translate to a language that they understand is imperative.
- Ability to stay calm in challenging situations and under pressure
- Ability to set expectations and deliver information in a positive and articulate way
- Be able to fluently communicate and write in French and/or Spanish, or have another marketable language fluency/fluencies;
- Experience migrating an online-store from one platform to another;
- Experience working with Google workspace an asset;
- Experience working within a startup environment or small (under 10 person) team an asset;
- Knowledge of multiple online e-commerce platforms;
- Experience with requirements gathering and scoping professional web development work for client projects
- Search engine optimization experience and adherence to industry best practices an asset;
- Relevant post-secondary education is an asset;
- Relevant professional development is an asset;
- A resume and/or portfolio that captures your related work experience;
- A cover letter, including desired salary expectations;
Please submit all of the above to [email protected] with the job title (“Junior Frontend Web Developer (Shopify, eComm)”) in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our organization; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.